Thursday, November 6, 2008

Craft Project with Scrapbook Paper II (Instructions

Okay, here are the instructions for the frame. I took pictures as I went along so you could kind of see what I was talking about. I'm more of a visual person, so hopefully it will help you out! This frame I am making for Lauren's (my 11 yr old.) friend for her birthday. Her favorite colors were pink, purple, and blue. So I hunted through my huge amounts of paper and found some that seemed to work.

The small square frame is from Michaels in the wood section it cost me a whopping $1.00. The bigger frame was from Walmart and it was like $3.43 (I think). It can be found in the craft section. These were both unfinished frames. I like them because they are cheap and you can paint them any color you want. But you could probably use any type of frame as long as the edges and corners are straight and squared off. Plus, you want to make sure hot glue will stick to whatever you use.Paint Frame

Paint the back of the frame and the sides of your frame usually 2 coats. I usually put 1 coat on the front and the inside (around where the picture is at) of the front. While that is drying you continue on.
Painted frame

Next you need to measure from the inside corner to the edge of your frame. If your frame is square you only need to do one measurement.


Long side measurment of 7 5/8"


Short side measurement of 5 5/8"

If it's a rectangle then you need to measure the long side and the short side. This will determine the size to cut your paper. In this case I used the larger frame and my measurements were 7 5/8" & 5 5/8".

For the short sides I will cut 10 squares (5 for each side) of paper measuring 5 5/8" (squared). For the long side I will cut 10 rectangles (5 for each side) of paper measuring 7 5/8" x 5 5/8". The long side you don't cut into squares because you don't want the rolls to be larger on the longer side. Hope that makes sense.

Cut your paper using your measurements.


10 5 5/8" squared papers


10 7 5/8" x 5 5/8" papers

Roll your papers

Next you take a pencil or a 1/4" dowel and roll each paper. I found that it was easier for the longer papers to use the dowel to roll with.

Rolling paper

I usually push the paper to the bottom of the dowel or pencil to make sure it's rolled straight. You then take your hot glue gun and glue the entire edge and then finish rolling the paper. I don't put the glue right on the edge, maybe in a quarter of an inch in case it seeps out a tad, less mess.
All of the rolled papers--I sort them so I know which paper I want on which side.

Once all papers are rolled you glue each roll onto the frame once the paint is dry. You start with one side and hot glue that side completely before moving on to the next side.

The start of the glueing

One side completely glued on

Now move onto the next side, one of the short sides now. I just work my way around the frame until it's all glued.

Whole frame completely glued

Next, decide what you are going to put in the frame. For this one I decided to do the girl's name. So, I just typed it in a fun font on the computer and printed it out. I did it in a text box the same size as what would be needed to fit inside the frame. This was so I had a cutting guide. I cut it out and then decorated it using left over scraps of paper, ric rac, ribbon, and a cute heart charm.

I tore the top edges of the scrapbook paper for a cute affect, you can't really tell in this picture. I love torn edges!

Put picture or whatever in the frame and wallah, you are done.

Finished project!

There are lots of steps, but I think I did this frame in less than an hour. Your kids can even make them. Lauren made 10 of them last year for her 5th grade Business Days. They were a huge hit and sold super fast. Holler if it doesn't make sense and I'll try to help answer any questions. By the way, this project idea came from the Target scrapbook section. Our Target has little pamphlets for free with ideas in them. So, I can't take the credit for them. They are just DANG cute! Happy creating and I'd love to see what you came up with.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

These are great, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try it out... after all my trips. lol. :D My word verification was rocked!

Amber said...

Oh my word! This is ADORABLE! Thank you SO much for sharing! If I can ever tear myself away from the computer, I'll definitely have to try it out! :D

Simply Sarah said...

WOW - what a cute idea... I do things with my frames but that is cute and definitely easy for the kiddos.